Wednesday, April 17, 2013

O

Observation


Most of our communication is non-verbal.  (Hard to admit for a writer in love with the spoken and written word.)  We all know how important it is to listen to others, although we probably don't practice that skill as much as we should.  It is equally important to observe others non-verbal cues.

For instance, my husband doesn't usually pick up on the cold tone in my voice but when I sit on the other couch he knows that I am upset with him.

I know that there are many times I hold my tongue and what I am not saying is far more telling than what I did.  For instance, I can't ignore that my girlfriend died her hair or got a new tattoo but when I don't gush over it and try to avoid eye contact or looking at it then you have plenty of non-verbal cues that tell you how I really feel but that I am keeping my opinion to myself.

Taking a moment to learn non-verbal cues can help avoid misunderstandings and sometimes putting your foot in your mouth.  I know it has helped me plenty with a previous boss.


[11 letters left fellow A-Z challengers!  We are doing great.  Keep it up.  Almost there.]


3 comments:

  1. Just dropping in as an A to Z co-host to follow your blog, so: nice to meet you, KAT!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey, Kat!

    Nonverbal communication is so critical! I try to include some nonverbal cues in intense scenes with my characters, but it's challenging sometimes because I really have to think about what some of those nonverbals would look like and then describe them!

    Thanks for sharing!
    Lyre @ Lyre's Musings #atozchallenge

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for sharing! Observation is one of the most important aspects of communication. Well done!

    ReplyDelete