Thursday, April 11, 2013

J

Justification

If you have to justify what you are doing then you should listen to your conscience.  You know, that little voice pulling at the corners of your brain for your attention.
I had an employee tell me that they would never act that way, while admitting that they did.  They would never behave like that ever.  Yet they did at work no less.  They then proceeded to blame everyone else involved for the incident.
The only thing you can control is your actions.  If you have to justify why you did something to yourself than maybe it is not something you should not be doing.
I justified the second chocolate with the sad excuse of my rough day.  I knew better the whole time I was doing it and didn’t take the time to stop myself.  Okay that is not a situation with serious ramifications but it is something we do every day.  If you get used to tuning out your little voice you may ignore it when you need it most.
By the way- that employee really lost me when others were blamed for their actions and they are in trouble.  I am trying not to divulge sex so this reads a bit weird but please understand my need for anonymity.

8 comments:

  1. That's how I know what I'm doing is wrong- of I have to give myself excuses to do it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good point. That little voice could keep us out of a lot of trouble if we would but listen to it!

    Lyre at Lyre's Musings

    ReplyDelete
  3. I can almost always find justification for chocolate. Otherwise I know what you're saying.

    I'll be giving you a plug on the a-to-zchallenge.com blog tomorrow (Friday). Hope to get you some more visitors.

    Lee
    An A to Z Co-Host
    Tossing It Out
    Twitter: @AprilA2Z

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great point. It's not really justified if we have to rationalise it like that, if it was OK there would be no explanation necessary. And we know we're kidding ourselves!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Yes we forget the little voice, as we bombarded by the big and powerful voice pushing us to do the very thing we are not supposed to do.
    Nice attempt of A to Z challenge. Keep it going.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I agree except I never need to justify chocolate. Kismet made sure chocolate was invented so it would be bad Karma not to eat it, (yeah I read your 'k' also).
    #atozchallenge
    maggie winter

    ReplyDelete
  7. If everyone listened to the little voice before, instead of after, the world would be a better place.

    Jenn @Scribbles From Jenn

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thanks Kat. Good thoughts to consider. God bless, Maria Delight Directed Living

    ReplyDelete