Monday, April 28, 2014

X is for X-factor

The X-factor is that something that makes you special and different.  This (X) is the reason that an agent or publisher should sign you, why a consumer should buy your book.  Your uniqueness.

This X-factor is also something you need to discuss in your query letter.  But what is it?

To figure out what makes you special you have to be well read in your genre and find what makes your work and what makes you different from the rest and what makes you sale-able?

Make a list of your best qualities focusing on what makes your writing different and then one for what makes you different; both aspects are important because you are a packaged deal.  Make a list of all your best qualities that you think would appeal to an editor, agent or publisher and then use these attributes to your advantage when you market yourself and your work in your query letter.

If you have a hard time coming up with items ask your friends and your writing group what they think your best qualities are or for some adjectives they would use to describe you.  They may come up with items you would not.

Good luck and happy writing!


8 comments:

  1. You are right - writers should have an X-factor. I think I'd be an agent's nightmare because I'm not sure I could write within the same genre each time, although I tend towards thrillers. Perhaps this would make me too unique to be considered?
    I'll have to seriously consider what qualities I could bring to an agent.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Great to see you again. I have the same problem and it is okay to have more than one agent. You are smart and personable those are great qualities to sell to an agent. They want someone who is easy to work with not a diva pain in the neck.

      Delete
  2. Love this--my post today is also entitled "The X Factor." X is a challenging letter for sure, but you've listed some great ideas here. I'm going to make my list of qualities right now. Thanks for sharing, and congratulations for reaching X!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am going to rush over and see what your X factor is about. Good to see you again. X is a tough one. Trying to fit it in with a theme makes it more limiting.

      Congratulations to you as well. We've done a great job so far only 2 left can you believe it?

      Delete
  3. Great thoughts. It's been a little while since I queried, but I think this is important information you need to know for positioning your book in the market, and the better you know where you fit and how to reach your audience, the better off you're going to be. I've read so many books that I do put one down if it sounds too similar to something else I've read. (Jacket cover.)

    True Heroes from A to Z

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have to agree with you that so many start to sound the same. I usually pick up the books the other writers I know are reading or the people at work who have similar tastes.
      But if something sounds unique- has a premise that makes me wonder how would I react in that situation. I pick it up. I just found the Leftovers by Tom Perrotta that way; very interesting premise.

      Thanks for visiting. Congratulations on making through the A to Z challenge (we've made it so far it is okay to say that now, right?)

      Delete
  4. Good thoughts. We do need to find a way to stand out in the crowd. Thanks for sharing these ideas. :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Teresa, Thanks for visiting. It is easy to write about but harder to pin down and put your X factor on paper.

      Delete