Wednesday, April 16, 2014

N is for Novice Novelist

That is me, a novice novelist, a newbie.  Like any other new undertaking I started with loads of enthusiasm and research.  However with this undertaking, unlike any other, everyone I have come into contact with was helpful.  Not reluctantly helpful but happily helpful.

I have learned so much thanks to the assistance of others and I know I will be relying on the assistance of others as I try to decide my path forward with my maiden manuscript.  Agent or no, traditional publishing, indie or self?

I think this processes is going so slowly for me not only because I am new to it but because it is my first novel.  My first baby that I am putting out into the world and you can only be a first time author once.  For that reason I want to make the best decisions possible and am weighing all options for my introduction to the world as an author.

I would love to hear what other authors have learned along the way, any advice that they wish they had know before they published their book.

Thanks for the support.

Happy Writing.

6 comments:

  1. Whatever road you take will be an adventure. If you go the traditional route, it may take a long, long time. But you are young and that is to your advantage. I've been writing most of my life, but didn't begin thinking seriously about publishing until quite late. My decision to self-publish came because I don't want to spend any more time waiting and waiting is what is required as you hunt for an agent and/or publisher.

    As for advice, I would say begin working on a new story while you wait.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Bish,
      Thank you so much for your sage advice. Sadly I am not really young, definitely solidly in the middle aged territory.

      I have another story almost completed that I will start working on marketing when I get my first one sorted out.

      Cheers!

      Delete
  2. Don't rush publication for any reason is my biggest lesson learned. Best of Success to you in your writing and publishing . . . and marketing! Aloha.
    Gail visiting for AtoZ

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for the advice Gail.
      Marketing scares me. That is one of the reasons I am still thinking about getting an agent, someone who knows how to succeed at that. It has taken me two years to get above 50 followers.

      Delete
  3. I'm with you, I'm a newbie writer too and I've found writers to be such an incredibly helpful group of people :) Glad you're enjoying your first foray into writing, I know I certainly am! And good luck with the novel and with the rest of the A to Z challenge.

    Are you doing Camp NaNoWriMo too?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Just stopping by from the A-Z list to say "Hi" and wish you good luck with the rest of the challenge :)

    Thats me too! ;) x

    ReplyDelete