Thursday, April 9, 2015

A to Z - I

For my A to Z Challenge theme I will be posting items that are no longer with us or are close to becoming extinct.

These are great items to use if you are trying to set a time period in your story or to stay away from if you want your story to be timeless.

Incandescent bulbs  The standard 60-watt bulb was the mainstay of every U.S. home. With the green movement the Compact Fluorescent Lightbulb (CFL) and LEDs are replacing the older, Edison-era incandescent bulb. The EPA reports that 2007 sales for Energy Star CFLs nearly doubled from 2006, and these sales accounted for approximately 20 percent of the U.S. light bulb market. About 95% of the power used by an incandescent light bulb is turned into heat, leaving only 5% for light. They are extremely inefficient. Please change out your bulbs and turn out lights that are not in use.

ID, caller. You used to have no idea who was calling. In fact people got busy signals, call waiting was an innovation you had to pay extra for each month.

Illness- which is sadly not going extinct and has had a hold of me since Sunday. I have been battling through but today is my worst day yet so it is off to bed with me. Please forgive the short post and my lack of response. I promise to catch up soon.

Happy Writing!


  1. Oh, I hope you feel better! Have a feeling I'm going to be sick soon too, it's surrounded me! And praise Jesus for the invention of caller ID.

  2. Incandescent bulbs are very difficult to find even if you are looking for them. And now I have been reading that the CFLs have carcinogens and we shouldn't use them for more than two to three hours a day! So who knows anymore?!

  3. Hi Kat - no worries .. recover that's the main thing and no guilt not being here ...

    Light bulbs .. don't know! ID caller - I just don't answer if I don't know who it is .. and I now only have a mobile .. cheers Hilary

  4. Hope you are feeling better! We have a few fixtures that require incandescents for the heat aspect, like the lamp that turns when it gets warm. LOL.

    Maui Jungalow

  5. We never did get caller ID on the land line phone, but it is nice to see who's calling on the cell. If I don't know who it is, I usually don't answer. It is good that we can save energy using the new light bulbs .. . if we don't use it all up on the computer instead is the question. Get well soon!

    1. we are definitely using more electricity with our dvd players, set top boxes, mini fridges, wine fridges, tablets, video game consoles. All these items that didn't exist that are now plugged in and draw power even when they are not on. Thanks for the well wishes.

  6. Now you have me wondering about when Caller ID was a thing to have and what was going on. Must've been the beginning of telemarketing. Wish that one would go extinct. Hope you're feeling better today.
    The View from the Top of the Ladder
    Take 25 to Hollister