Sunday, October 19, 2014

Tenacity


Why is it that parents continue to believe their children should be obedient, like the family dog?  Has their ever been a child who has truly been obedient? And if so would you really want them to be?

There are times I am one of these deluded parents and I really wish they would be.  This is generally after a long day when I have a headache, or when I know they are about to say something embarrassing in front of a business associate, our priest, or their teacher.

My children NEVER take any answer I give them as final that they don't want to hear.  What is really great for their future but right now can wear my patience so thin that the curse words or the desire to run away are just about to break through is their belief that it is not okay to take no for an answer. Somewhere along the line that was beaten out of me and I am ready to give up much more quickly than I should.

Another trait that both my children have is that they problem solve.  They do not whine or beg instead they throw out alternative options and answers to whatever they think are my arguments against what they want. Are you not letting me to play with my friend because you don't want to drive me there?  Well don't worry, I can ride my bike.  Maybe you are saying no because you think it's a bad time?  I spoke with them on Friday and they assured me that today would be a great day to get together.  I have all my homework done.  If I'm not playing with my friend I will ask to watch TV and you don't want me doing that.

I'm amazed at their tenacity and the solutions they come up with.  These skills that they seem to innately posses will be such an asset to them as adults.  I keep that in mind when I am straining to keep my patience under their barrage of answer changing options.

No comments:

Post a Comment