Thursday, June 26, 2014

I'm obsessed

My husband and I recently celebrated our anniversary and for some reason I kept thinking about the first apartment we lived in.  Then out of the blue my neighbor from the apartment called and asked to drop in on us.

It was wonderful to see her and hear that she is thinking of moving back into the area.  We didn't discuss the old times or the apartment but when I woke up the next morning it was still there,  nagging at the recesses of my brain.

I am supposed to be editing my other two novels and had squirreled away time for this purpose but as I sat at my laptop I couldn't focus.  The apartment and all the characters we knew and the fun we had kept nagging at me.  Fine.  I will just quickly start writing something and then it will be out of my brain and I can come back to it later if there is anything there.

Seven thousand words later I was being asked what I was making for dinner.  Where had the time gone?  I prepared dinner thinking about this burgeoning story all the while.

Kids were finally in bed and I was back at the lap top.  Twelve thousand words and I have to go to bed.

Next day I am at work with the story running around in my brain the whole day.  At lunch I finally throw some notes on paper and try to stuff it away until I get home.

Kids are in bed and I am back at it.  All editing forgotten.  My new mistress is taking up all my time.  She is fun and creative and I am writing!  Not editing.  She had become all consuming.  I forced myself to bed with sixteen thousand words.

While driving to work I am making audio notes about the story.  I get to work and riding in the elevator I realized that I'm obsessed with this story.  It is like the beginning of a new relationship when you were in high school and that person was in every thought and any decision made had to do with seeing that person.  That is me now with this story.  I will spend the rest of my lunch writing down all the swirling thoughts and location descriptions and what ever else begs for my attention.

I have been in love with every single one of my stories and when I go back to the others once this one is more established they will be my current obsession but right now my old apartment beckons.

Happy Writing and Creating!

1 comment:

  1. Being in love with what you write is essential! And how much fun to return to them.

    ReplyDelete